Just in Time For Valentines Day: Make These Delicious Vegan Waffles For Your Loved One
RECIPE OF THE DAY: JANUARY 31
WHY WE LOVE IT: This step-by-step recipe is easy to follow and takes under 25 minutes to make.
TOTAL TIME: Prep:15 Minutes Make: 8 Minutes
TOTAL INGREDIENTS: 9
MAKE IT FOR: Valentines Day morning for your loved one.
SPECIAL NOTE: If your waffles turned out softer than you prefer, Ty explains that you’ve overworked your batter! Doing so will over-develop the gluten and leave you with a hard, dense waffle. Make sure to treat your batter with care and whisk until all ingredients are just combined. Never overwhisk!
(If you need to start prep the day before or order ingredients online, we will let you know that here. Otherwise, assume the dish can be shopped, prepped and served the same day with readily available ingredients.)
FOR THE WAFFLES
- 1,5 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1,5 cup plain white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or substitute for a different type of vinegar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE RASPBERRY SAUCE
- Heat up your frozen raspberries in a pan.
- Add cocoa nibs and coconut flakes.
- Drizzle over your waffles along with the sweetener of your choice.
- Sprinkle with fresh raspberries.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Combine ground flax seed and boiling hot water in a small bowl to create a flax egg. Set aside.
- Combine almond milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir thoroughly and set aside. We will refer to this as our almond milk mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to a medium-sized bowl. Mix well. We will refer to this as our flour mixture.
- Return to your almond milk mixture and add oil, flax egg and vanilla. Mix well
- It’s time to combine your wet and dry mixtures. Add your almond milk mixture to your flour mixture and mix well until few lumps remain Be careful not to over whisk.
- Cook on a pre-heated waffle iron according to instructions given by your waffle iron maker. I cooked my mini waffles for 8 minutes per waffle.
- Once cooked, serve with fresh raspberry sauce (recipe below) and eat straight away. Alternatively, let cool and toast the waffle later just before serving.